COVID-19 – answers to frequently asked questions of passengers
AT HOME (before going to the airport):
- Pay attention to your well-being and cancel the trip if you have such symptoms as: high temperature (38º and higher), fever, cough, laboured breathing, loss of ability to taste or smell.
- Fill in the Notice (information form) provided by the airline about your health condition (if required by the airline).
- Provide for medical masks (at the rate of 1 mask for 2-3 hours of the entire trip), disposable gloves and a sanitizer (up to 100 ml).
- Check all the necessary documents for travel and be sure to check the conditions of border crossing and stay in the country of arrival (https://tripadvisor.mfa.gov.ua/?page_id=1973).
- Schedule your departure in advance to have enough time to travel to the airport and complete the required formalities. We recommend arriving at the terminal no later than 3-4 hours prior the scheduled departure of your flight.
AT BORYSPIL AIRPORT (departure)
- If you have any questions, please contact the airport staff at information desk.
- Entrance to the terminal is allowed only for passengers with a boarding pass or ticket (in electronic or paper form) wearing medical masks. Access to the terminal for those who accompany or meet passengers is limited. There are some special exceptions for accompanying people (e.g. accompaniment for passengers with reduced mobility, unaccompanied children, etc.).
- Be prepared for the temperature screening in the terminal. In cases where the temperature exceeds 38 ° C, and if you visually have the following symptoms: fever, cough, labored breath – you may be not allowed to enter the terminal or board the plane.
- Please, follow restrictive signs and signs indicating the distance requirement. Wear protective medical masks and do not forget to use your own or installed in the terminal sanitizers.
- At check-in, aviation security and passport control: provide documents unfolded and without covers, be prepared to remove the medical mask for a short time or at the request of the inspector.
AT BORYSPIL AIRPORT (arrival)
- Follow physical distance and hand hygiene. Wear and do not remove the medical mask.
- Provide documents unfolded and without covers, be prepared to remove the medical mask for a short time at the request of the inspector.
- For border crossing conditions, see What are the border crossing rules for passengers arriving in Ukraine?
- Pick up your luggage and leave the terminal building in due course.
- Reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by minimally interacting with people at the arrival terminal.
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many countries are reviewing policies regarding borders opening and the entry of foreigners. The information is updating depending on the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19. That is why we highly recommend to read the actual information on the official websites of the country of your destination or at the embassies and consulates of the destination country located in the territory of the host country.
- To plan your trips abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic you can use the interactive map of the world developed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, which allows you to check the current transit and entry mode for Ukrainian citizens in any country in the world. The map is available at: https://tripadvisor.mfa.gov.ua/map
- We recommend that you visit the IATA website to find out the current entry requirements for the destination you are going to – Interactive Coronavirus (Covid-19) Travel Regulations Map. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm
If you do not have enough information, or you want to check the information from the above sites, you can use the Handbook on border opening in Europe from the European Commission.
The Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine informs that the Government on its session 02.12.2021 adopted the resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine developed by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine “On Amendments to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 1236 dated December 9, 2020 ” https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pro-vnesennya-zmin-do-postanovi-kabinetu-ministriv-ukrayini-vid-9-grudnya-2020-r-t21221, in which from 00 hours 00 minutes on December 3, 2021 for the duration of the quarantine it is provided:
– prohibition of crossing the state border for non-residents and stateless persons arriving from South Africa, the Republic of Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Kingdom of Eswatini, the Republic of Mozambique, the Republic of Mozambique, and the Republic of Malawi and having stayed on their territories not less than 7 days during the last 14 days;
– mandatory self-isolation, observation for citizens of Ukraine, non-residents and stateless persons, permanently or temporarily residing in Ukraine, spouses or children of citizens of Ukraine who cross the state border to enter Ukraine and arrived from South Africa, the Republic of Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, the Kingdom of Lesotho, the Kingdom of Esvatini, the Republic of Mozambique and the Republic of Malawi and having stayed on their territories not less than 7 days during the last 14 days.
The current rules for crossing the Ukrainian border are regulated by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated December 9, 2020 No. 1236, with the latest amendments dated September 13, 2021 Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 954
Entry to Ukraine for foreigners, including holders of a temporary residence permit, and stateless persons.
All foreigners, regardless of age and country of arrival who are entering Ukraine must have an insurance policy (certificate) issued by an insurance company registered in Ukraine or a foreign insurance company with a representative office in Ukraine or a contractual relationship with the insurance company-partner on the territory of Ukraine (assistance), which covers the costs associated with the treatment of COVID-19, observation, and is valid for the entire period of stay in Ukraine.
And must have one of the following documents:
- document confirming receipt of one or more doses of COVID-19 vaccine with WHO-approved for emergency use: Pfizer / BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen, AstraZeneca / Vaxzevria, AstraZeneca / Covishield (India), AstraZeneca / SKBio (South Korea), Moderna / Spikevax, Sinopharm (Vero Cell), CoronaVac (Sinovac); or
- foreign COVID certificate confirming vaccination against COVID-19 with vaccines that are included in the WHO list of approved for emergency use, a negative PCR test result for COVID-19 or a COVID-19 recovery certificate of a person, issued by the authorized institutions of the Member States of the European Union trust network or authorized institutions of other foreign states with which Ukraine has concluded international agreements on the mutual recognition of COVID certificates; or
- negative result of the rapid test for coronavirus antigen SARS-CoV-2 (RAT, Ag), made no more than 72 hours before entry; or
- negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for COVID-19 taken no more than 72 hours before entry.
Certificates of antibodies to COVID-19 are not accepted for entry.
Children under 12 do not need test certificates. Children from 12 to 18 years old shall have one of the above documents, but are exempt from self-isolation with the installation of the app “Vdoma”.
If a foreigner has proof of receiving one or more doses of the vaccine, or a COVID certificate confirming recovery from COVID-19, they do not need to have a negative test, to install the Vdoma application, to self-isolate or take a test in Ukraine.
If the required vaccination certificate or COVID certificate is not available, the foreigner (other than the categories of foreigners defined in the exceptions below) installs the application “Vdoma” and shall begin self-isolation 72 hours after entry. During this time, the person will be able to undergo PCR testing or perform a rapid test for antigen – in case of a negative result, self-isolation is not applied.
If within 72 hours from the moment of crossing the border, the negative test result was not received – the person must isolate themselves for 10 days in the place specified during the authorization in the application “Vdoma”. It is also possible to stop self-isolation earlier, having received a negative result of the PCR test or the express test for antigen.
IMPORTANT! Unvaccinated citizens (with exceptions) who travel from Russia or India and have been on their territory for more than 7 days during the previous 14 days will have to adhere to self-isolation for 14 days and will not be able to take a test in Ukraine to avoid or suspend the self-isolation.
If the person is unable or refuses to install the mobile application “Vdoma”, they will be denied in crossing the state border.
Exclusion! Self-isolation is not applied (the application “Vdoma” is not installed) in following cases, for:
- persons under 18 years of age;
- foreigners and stateless persons who have documents confirming departure from the country within 48 hours (from September 20, 2021);
- heads and members of official delegations of foreign states, employees of the international organizations, as well as persons accompanying them and entering Ukraine at the invitation of the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the Office of the President of Ukraine, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- employees of diplomatic missions and consular posts of foreign states, missions of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, and members of their families;
- persons who come to participate in official sports competitions held on the territory of Ukraine and their accompanying persons;
- persons arriving to participate in cultural events taking place on the territory of Ukraine, at the invitation of a cultural institution and their accompanying persons;
- servicemen (units) of the armed forces of NATO member states and member states of the NATO “Partnership for Peace” program, who participate in the training of units of the Armed Forces or arrive at the invitation of the Ministry of Defense;
- experts of border agencies of EU countries arriving within the framework of joint operations with the European Border and Coastal Defense Agency Frontex;
- members of official governmental and other delegations of Ukraine who return to Ukraine after short-term business trips abroad to participate in international consultations, negotiations, conferences, sessions of bodies of international organizations, meetings of intergovernmental commissions, other joint intergovernmental bodies;
- participants of external independent assessment, persons who intend to enter educational institutions, including courses (departments) in preparation for admission to state higher education institutions, applicants studying in educational institutions located in Ukraine, as well as parents (adoptive parents), guardians, trustees, other legal representatives or other persons authorized by parents (adoptive parents), guardians, trustees or other legal representatives accompanying such persons;
- drivers and crew members of freight vehicles, buses engaged in regular, irregular and commuter transportation, members of air and sea crews, river vessels, members of train and locomotive crews;
- persons carrying hematopoietic stem cells for transplantation.
To the attention of passengers of domestic flights, beginning from October 21 new passenger transportation rules come into effect.
The government approved the changes to the Decree No.1236, thus enhancing the requirements to the passenger transportation within regions of “yellow”, “orange” or “red” epidemiological safety.
In case you plan transportation within the regions of “yellow” epidemiological safety level, you will require one of the following documents:
✔️ Document confirming taking the first COVID-19 vaccine.
✔️ Negative PCR test result or express COVID-19 antigen test, valid for 72 hours.
In case you are leaving or heading into the region of “red” epidemiological safety level, you shall require one of the following documents:
- Document confirming taking full COVID-19 vaccine course.
- Negative PCR test result or express COVID-19 antigen test, valid for 72 hours.
Underage shall not subject to the new rules of inter-regional travel.
Rules apply both to the scheduled and unscheduled passenger transportation, in particular: car and bus transportation, air railway transportation of interregional connection.
These rules shall not be applied to the inner-city and inner-regional transportation.
More detailed information is available at: https://cutt.ly/QRwtkRj
According to the Aviation Rules of State Aviation Service of Ukraine Rules of air transportation and service of passengers and luggage (XXV. Administrative formalities):
- The passenger is responsible for obtaining all necessary documents for the trip, including visas, permits, certificates, etc., as well as for compliance with the requirements of the legislation on departure, entry, transit to the country of departure, arrival and transit.
- The air carrier is not responsible for the consequences of the passenger’s non-compliance with the legislation of the countries of departure, arrival and transit or the passenger’s lack of documents required for the trip.
- At the request of the air carrier, the passenger must present to the authorized persons of the air carrier, representatives of the relevant government agencies all documents for departure, entry, transit, health status and other documents required by the applicable law. The air carrier has the right to make copies of the passenger’s travel documents and store them in the manner prescribed by the legislation of Ukraine.
- The air carrier has the right to refuse to carry a passenger who has not complied with applicable laws or whose documents have not been processed properly.
You can check the current status of the flight on the airline’s online scoreboard. To do this, you need to open the official website of the airline in the browser and find the tab online board, then you need to enter the place of departure, arrival, date of travel and the flight number. After filling in the appropriate fields, you will find out the current status of the flight.
Links to online boards of Ukrainian airlines:
The online scoreboard of the airport displays information about all announced flights as of today and tomorrow. The information is constantly updated depending on the decisions and applications of the airlines.
The airport does not sell tickets. You can choose the destination you are interested in and book a ticket on the official websites of the airlines.
Due to quarantine restrictions, only passengers with a ticket or boarding pass, crew members and airport staff can enter the Boryspil Airport Terminal. Therefore, you can meet arriving passengers at the following airport locations:
- The station forecourt near Terminal D – the area for buses and taxis departure. This meeting point is within walking distance of railway platform. If you come to meet passengers by car – use the terminal parking lots. The map of parking spaces is available at https://kbp.aero/transport/parking/
- The 3rd floor lobby of the multilevel parking. The entrance and exit to/from Terminal D and aviation security control starts here. In order to meet those who have arrived in this lobby, inform them in advance that they should take the escalator or elevator up to the 2nd floor of Terminal D from the arrival area. No need to leave the terminal and cross the bridge to the multi-level parking lot.
- The overpass near Terminal D. The “Kiss and Fly” principle is applied here – there are road signs prohibiting car parking and limiting the duration of the stop to 3 minutes. If you decide to meet the arriving passengers on the overpass, inform them in advance that they should take the escalator or elevator up to the 3rd floor of Terminal D. You should only enter the overpass when you are sure that the passengers have left the Terminal and are waiting for you in the agreed meeting point on the overpass.