COVID-19 – answers to frequently asked questions of passengers
AT HOME (before going to the airport):
- Pay attention to your well-being and cancel the trip if you have such symptoms as: high temperature (38º and higher), fever, cough, laboured breathing, loss of ability to taste or smell.
- Fill in the Notice (information form) provided by the airline about your health condition (if required by the airline).
- Provide for medical masks (at the rate of 1 mask for 2-3 hours of the entire trip), disposable gloves and a sanitizer (up to 100 ml).
- Check all the necessary documents for travel and be sure to check the conditions of border crossing and stay in the country of arrival (https://tripadvisor.mfa.gov.ua/?page_id=1973).
- Schedule your departure in advance to have enough time to travel to the airport and complete the required formalities. We recommend arriving at the terminal no later than 3-4 hours prior the scheduled departure of your flight.
AT BORYSPIL AIRPORT (departure)
- If you have any questions, please contact the airport staff at information desk.
- Entrance to the terminal is allowed only for passengers with a boarding pass or ticket (in electronic or paper form) wearing medical masks. Access to the terminal for those who accompany or meet passengers is limited. There are some special exceptions for accompanying people (e.g. accompaniment for passengers with reduced mobility, unaccompanied children, etc.).
- Be prepared for the temperature screening in the terminal. In cases where the temperature exceeds 38 ° C, and if you visually have the following symptoms: fever, cough, labored breath – you may be not allowed to enter the terminal or board the plane.
- Please, follow restrictive signs and signs indicating the distance requirement. Wear protective medical masks and do not forget to use your own or installed in the terminal sanitizers.
- At check-in, aviation security and passport control: provide documents unfolded and without covers, be prepared to remove the medical mask for a short time or at the request of the inspector.
AT BORYSPIL AIRPORT (arrival)
- Follow physical distance and hand hygiene. Wear and do not remove the medical mask.
- Provide documents unfolded and without covers, be prepared to remove the medical mask for a short time at the request of the inspector.
- For border crossing conditions, see What are the border crossing rules for passengers arriving in Ukraine?
- Pick up your luggage and leave the terminal building in due course.
- Reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by minimally interacting with people at the arrival terminal.
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many countries are reviewing policies regarding borders opening and the entry of foreigners. The information is updating depending on the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19. That is why we highly recommend to read the actual information on the official websites of the country of your destination or at the embassies and consulates of the destination country located in the territory of the host country.
- To plan your trips abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic you can use the interactive map of the world developed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, which allows you to check the current transit and entry mode for Ukrainian citizens in any country in the world. The map is available at: https://tripadvisor.mfa.gov.ua/map
- We recommend that you visit the IATA website to find out the current entry requirements for the destination you are going to – Interactive Coronavirus (Covid-19) Travel Regulations Map. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm
If you do not have enough information, or you want to check the information from the above sites, you can use the Handbook on border opening in Europe from the European Commission.
Due to the quarantine restrictions, passengers shoula consider the changes and supplements to the rules for passing passport control at the Boryspil Airport. The rules are set out on the website of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine https://dpsu.gov.ua/en/ .
- Rules valid until August 5, 2021
To enter Ukraine all foreign citizens regardless of the country of arrival must have an insurance certificate issued by an insurance company registered in Ukraine, which covers the costs related to the COVID-19 treatment, observation, and is valid for the entire period of stay in Ukraine.
All foreign citizens, holders of a temporary residence permit, as well as stateless persons need to have one of the following documents:
- a document confirming the receipt of a full course of vaccination against COVID-19 with vaccines authorized by WHO for use in emergency situations; or
- a negative rapid test for the SARS-CoV-2 antigen (RAT, Ag) that was done no more than 72 hours before entry; or
- a certificate of a negative PCR test result done no more than 72 hours before the entry.
Test, vaccination and self-isolation are not required for children under 12.
Ukrainians and holders of a permanent residence permit are exempted from the requirement to have or undergo testing and / or self-isolation with the installation of the Vdoma application when returning to Ukraine from any country in the world except India, Great Britain, Russia or Portugal.
All foreign citizens, citizens of Ukraine, holders of a permanent or temporary residence permit, stateless persons who arrive from India, Great Britain, Russia or Portugal or have been on their territory for more than 7 days during 14 days, they are required to undergo a rapid test to determine the antigen of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus at checkpoints (control points) across the state border.
- Rules valid from August 5, 2021
To cross the Ukrainian border, foreigners or stateless persons must present an insurance and one of these three documents: a negative PCR test / a rapid test taken no more than 72 hours before crossing the border, or a certificate of full vaccination with vaccines authorized by WHO for use in emergencies.
For foreigners, self-isolation is mandatory for the period of10 days (except for persons under 18 and other categories of foreigners specified by government decree).
Self-isolation begins 72 hours after the arrival in Ukraine. The foreigner must install the “Vdoma” application. Self-isolation does not begin or immediately ends in the case of a negative test (PCR or express). In case of refusal or impossibility to install the “Vdoma” application, the foreigner will not be allowed to enter the territory of Ukraine.
Foreigners with an insurance and a document certifying full vaccination do not need self-isolation.
Ukrainian citizens returning home also need a 10-day self-isolation, which should begin 72 hours after crossing the border.
Self-isolation is not required for those having a certificate of complete vaccination, or a document issued in the manner prescribed by the Ministry of Health Protection, confirming the first dose of vaccination. Citizens of Ukraine under 18 and Ukrainians who went abroad before August 4 are also exempt from the necessity to isolate themselves.
Self-isolation begins 72 hours after crossing the border. It is not required or is to be terminated when a negative COVID test (PCR or rapid test) is obtained, except for those who came from Russia or India.
For those unvaccinated persons, regardless of citizenship, who came from Russia or India and stayed in the territory of these countries for more than 7 days during the last two weeks, a mandatory 14-day self-isolation is established without the right to its early termination. The period of self-isolation begins from the moment of crossing the border and cannot be terminated in any case.
According to the Aviation Rules of State Aviation Service of Ukraine Rules of air transportation and service of passengers and luggage (XXV. Administrative formalities):
- The passenger is responsible for obtaining all necessary documents for the trip, including visas, permits, certificates, etc., as well as for compliance with the requirements of the legislation on departure, entry, transit to the country of departure, arrival and transit.
- The air carrier is not responsible for the consequences of the passenger’s non-compliance with the legislation of the countries of departure, arrival and transit or the passenger’s lack of documents required for the trip.
- At the request of the air carrier, the passenger must present to the authorized persons of the air carrier, representatives of the relevant government agencies all documents for departure, entry, transit, health status and other documents required by the applicable law. The air carrier has the right to make copies of the passenger’s travel documents and store them in the manner prescribed by the legislation of Ukraine.
- The air carrier has the right to refuse to carry a passenger who has not complied with applicable laws or whose documents have not been processed properly.
For the period of quarantine, it is prohibited for foreigners, persons without citizenship to cross the border (except for those who have permanent residence in Ukraine, are recognized as refugees or persons in need of additional protection) without the relevant insurance policy (certificate, insurance) for COVID-19 treatment and observation. Treatment and observation are paid by the insurer in accordance with the policy (certificate, insurance) of insurance costs, or by such persons themselves.
We also recommend reading the information page created especially for tourists and visitors to Ukraine. The page provides explanations on the rules of crossing the border for passengers from the green and red zone, also the link provides to apply for an insurance policy online.
You can check the current status of the flight on the airline’s online scoreboard. To do this, you need to open the official website of the airline in the browser and find the tab online board, then you need to enter the place of departure, arrival, date of travel and the flight number. After filling in the appropriate fields, you will find out the current status of the flight.
Links to online boards of Ukrainian airlines:
The online scoreboard of the airport displays information about all announced flights as of today and tomorrow. The information is constantly updated depending on the decisions and applications of the airlines.
The airport does not sell tickets. You can choose the destination you are interested in and book a ticket on the official websites of the airlines.
Due to quarantine restrictions, only passengers with a ticket or boarding pass, crew members and airport staff can enter the Boryspil Airport Terminal. Therefore, you can meet arriving passengers at the following airport locations:
- The station forecourt near Terminal D – the area for buses and taxis departure. This meeting point is within walking distance of railway platform. If you come to meet passengers by car – use the terminal parking lots. The map of parking spaces is available at https://kbp.aero/transport/parking/
- The 3rd floor lobby of the multilevel parking. The entrance and exit to/from Terminal D and aviation security control starts here. In order to meet those who have arrived in this lobby, inform them in advance that they should take the escalator or elevator up to the 2nd floor of Terminal D from the arrival area. No need to leave the terminal and cross the bridge to the multi-level parking lot.
- The overpass near Terminal D. The “Kiss and Fly” principle is applied here – there are road signs prohibiting car parking and limiting the duration of the stop to 3 minutes. If you decide to meet the arriving passengers on the overpass, inform them in advance that they should take the escalator or elevator up to the 3rd floor of Terminal D. You should only enter the overpass when you are sure that the passengers have left the Terminal and are waiting for you in the agreed meeting point on the overpass.