Attention! Information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Regarding the New Rules for Border Crossing Effective from 28 March
Attention! Hereby is the new publication issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine regarding the new rules for border crossing applied from 28 March 2020 resulting from the emergency measures aimed at prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection. Please, stay informed.
We remind you as well, that the questions concerning the ticket refund, flights cancellation, etc. are under the responsibility of the air carriers.
We kindly ask you to keep calm and get information acquired only from trusted sources.
Information from the official web-site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine is available at: https://mfa.gov.ua/news/zapitannya-i-vidpovidi-shchodo-strimkogo-pogirshennya-pandemichnoyi-situaciyi-u-sviti-ta-novih-pravil-peretinu-kordonu-ukrayini
Answers to the questions regarding the new rules for border crossing effective from 28 March:
Dear Ukrainians, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs understands your difficult situation and within the boundaries of our capabilities we were, are, and will be doing everything to keep you safe and provide a helping hand.
Foreign diplomatic institutions received the instruction of the Minister of Foreign Affairs to launch the Safety program. The Embassy’s and consulate-general worldwide will provide you, Ukrainian citizens, with the following support:
- resolving the issue of over-termed documentation/permissions/visas for staying in the foreign country;
- cooperation with the law enforcement agencies of foreign countries to provide for the legal protection of the interests of our citizens in case of their violation;
- informing on the possibility of returning to Ukraine, Ukraine-neighboring countries or counties within the short reach to Ukraine for further returning to the homeland;
- informing on the changes of the epidemiological situation in the state of residence, implementation of emergency rule, etc.;
- provide consultancy regarding the household and health security issues (addresses and time schedules of grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals etc.;
- will cooperate with local authorities and businesses willing to assist, to solve issue of temporary residence within specially designated places (campuses, social institutions, schools, etc.) of those of our citizens who do not have the means of living and residence;
- establish a connection between Ukrainians who are stay in foreign countries against their will, requiring assistance, with public organizations and Ukrainian communities that are ready to help.
Stay in touch with an embassy or consulate in the country where you stuck. Tell the diplomats what kind of help you need. To facilitate communication, embassies and consulates are to set up special communities and channels called Safety in (city / country name) on social networks and messengers operating in your countries of residence.
The Government of Ukraine will assist your returning home when the epidemiological situation in your country of residence stabilizes, as well as with the WHO ability to provide you with the proper conditions for control and observation upon your coming back to Ukraine.
- Will the confirmed flights scheduled for the period after 27 March and for which tickets have been sold be operated?
According to the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine information, all the aircrafts departing on 27 March will be able to complete the flights.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also addresses all citizens of Ukraine abroad who have not yet purchased tickets or did not have time to buy tickets for the departure until 27 March, incl., with the request not to buy the tickets even if they are available on the website of the carrier, but to consider the possibility of continuation of your residence in the country where it is applicable.
Citizens also have the opportunity to enter Ukraine by road, through the designated checkpoints.
If you can reach the checkpoints on foot, the State Border Service will arrange the crossing of the state border by transport in cooperation with local authorities.
To build a route, please use the map on the website of the State Border Service of Ukraine https://dpsu.gov.ua/ua/map
Follow the official announcements from the Ministry of Infrastructure and the State Border Service to find out about new logistical options for returning to Ukraine.
- What should I do if I purchased a flight ticket scheduled for a date later than 27 March?
For the reimbursement of tickets that cannot be carried out due to the temporary suspension of passenger service with Ukraine, please contact the relevant airlines.
- Is there an option to arrange additional flights to Ukraine for those who have not had the opportunity to return by 27 March?
Due to the rapid spread of coronavirus infection in Ukraine, the possibility of organizing additional flights will depend solely on the epidemic situation in the country and the ability of the Ministry of Healthcare to provide adequate quarantine measures for all those arriving on such flights.
The Government of Ukraine will do its best to help Ukrainian citizens to return home as soon as possible.
- Will it be possible to leave the territory of Ukraine after 27 March?
In accordance with the Government decision all passenger flights from Ukraine for touristic purposes has been banned from 24 March. https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pitannya-perevezen-aviam230320cijnim-transportom
In addition, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine strongly recommends to citizens of Ukraine to refrain from any travelling abroad due to the pandemic of the coronavirus. https://cutt.ly/5tmVQDe
Please be advised, that a number of countries at the national level have now implemented a set of strict restrictive (quarantine) measures aimed at localizing the virus (Italy, France, Germany, Israel, USA, etc.), which will be in effect until the sanitary and epidemiological situation is fully stabilized.
If there is an urgent need to travel abroad, it can be done through the available cross-border security checkpoints for road traffic. To obtain information on the mode of operation of such checkpoints, you should first contact the State Border Service of Ukraine.
- Is it possible to return to Ukraine by car after 27 March?
Yes, you can cross the state border of Ukraine for entry by car. To clarify which checkpoint provides this opportunity, use the online information of the checkpoint map https://dpsu.gov.ua/en/map
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in constant negotiations with European Union and neighboring countries to ensure your free transit through their territory to Ukraine.
- Is it possible to return to Ukraine on foot?
If you can reach the checkpoints, the State Border Service will arrange the crossing of the state border by transport in cooperation with local authorities.
The addresses and mode of operation of checkpoints can be found on the interactive map on the website of the State Border Service of Ukraine: https://dpsu.gov.ua/en/map
- How to get to the home from the Boryspil airport / from the cross-border security checkpoint?
Please, contact the Ministry of Infrastructure for information on how to get to any destination within the territory of Ukraine.
- Is it required to be tested and adhere to self-isolation mode on return:
All flights are currently handled at the quarantine terminal of Boryspil Airport, under the epidemiologists’ supervision. All arriving citizens are subjected to COVID-19 express tests, as well as informed of the required self-isolation for the period of 14 days.
Instructions of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and the Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine for those who are returning from abroad and shall adhere to the regime of self-isolation can be found on the website of the Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine. https://cutt.ly/WtmVXuf https://moz.gov.ua/
- Will the foreign citizens or people without citizenship be allowed to leave Ukraine throughout the quarantine period?
The procedure for considering such requests from foreign citizens remains unchanged. Every foreign citizen shall contact their country’s embassy in Ukraine and announce their intention to travel abroad and justify such request. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will review each such application separately in cooperation with the embassy of the State involved, in order to take the optimal for the applicant and the interests of sanitary safety decision.