Traveling with children
Traveling abroad with minors – citizens of Ukraine
According to existing law of Ukraine minor citizens leave Ukraine holding a child’s travel document issued for children under the age of 18 if they are not vised into one of the parents’ foreign passport. Besides, the photos of children over the age of 5 are to be glued into the parent’s passport.
According to item 4 of State Border Crossing Regulations for citizens of Ukraine adopted by the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers № 57 issued on the 27th of January 1995 (and amended with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers № 724 issued on the 25th of August 2010) departure of minor citizens of Ukraine abroad is done:
according to the parents’ notarized permit where the point of destination and period of staying abroad is fixed;
without one of the parents’ notarized permit:
- if one of the parents is a foreigner or stateless person that is confirmed in the child’s birth certificate and this very parent is absent at the port of entry;
- if a citizen of Ukraine going abroad with a child has all necessary marks and notations in his/her passport as to their going abroad for permanent residence or marks testifying their consulate registration in diplomatic mission of Ukraine abroad;
- in case of presenting documents or their notarized copies:
- the other parent’s death certificate;
- court decision on parental rights deprivation;
- court decision on recognizing one of the parents as missing obscurely;
- court decision on recognizing one of the parents legally ineffective;
- court decision on permission for the citizen of Ukraine under the age of 16 to travel without one of the parents’ consent or accompaniment;
- child’s birth certificate issued by the Civil Acts Registration Office with specification of all the grounds including all information about parents according to Part 1 Article 135 of Family Code of Ukraine (when a child leaving Ukraine for abroad is accompanied by a single mother).
Some aspects of minors’ (citizens of Ukraine) traveling
to the Russian Federation: according to the Agreement between the government of Ukraine and the government of the Russian Federation as to the circumstances of mutual trips of citizens, children – citizens of Ukraine under the age of 16 may cross the state border holding a birth certificate;
to the Republic of Belarus: children – citizens of Ukraine may cross the state border holding a child’s travel document or the travel passport of one of the parents they are vised into, and accompanied by one of parents.